Tuesday 18 June 2013

Look what I made! A Hockey Table


It has just been recently after all of those countless hours on Pinterest that I finally have something to show for it. I found this original table and immediately wanted to make a hockey themed one! I showed Kirk and we decided to make one this year for his dad, a huge Philadelphia Flyers fan, for Father's Day. And as I know Kirk will be reading this at some point [Hey Kirk!], I want to point out now that I had very little to do with the making of this table so the "Look what I made" should be "Look what Kirk made". 

The original table idea
 We* started with wood glue, clamps, and four hockey sticks. We put a line of glue on the sticks, stuck two together and clamped it. 







 The next part required me helping so I had to put the camera down. We put more glue on the other sticks and attached them to the other sticks. These were then clamped and left to dry. 





After drying for 5 - 10 minutes or so, Kirk screwed the sticks together. Two screws were put in on one stick and another two in the opposite direction. We couldn't find the perfect size of screws so we ended up putting in more screws then planned in order to ensure it was secure. 



The next part of the project was the table top. Kirk cut out two circles from some leftover plywood we had from the shed platform. These pieces were sanded down to smooth out the edges. The large circle was the table top and the smaller piece was extra support. 



Safety glasses on!


Then we primed and painted both pieces black. Before painting the top of the table black Kirk screwed the pieces together. He then covered the screw hole so it wasn't so obvious. The table top was then painted. 

This is the smaller circle






Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the finished product but it looks exactly the same as the above pictures, only with a black top instead of white. 

We think Kirk's dad liked the table and while it took longer than we originally planned, I think it turned out really well!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Of Extraordinarily Ordinary Things. Design by WPThemes Expert
Themes By Buy My Themes And Cheap Conveyancing.