Saturday 29 October 2011

You make me smile

It has been quite awhile since I last blogged but here I am! I am still alive and very much kicking. Midterms at school are now over but now papers are going to be due soon than I want to admit! 


As I am starting to become more and more stressed out, I decided to start thinking about things that make me happy. There are so many things in a very ordinary day that can make your day extraordinary if you let them. As I found on Friday I came across many things that could have made me cranky but as I was focusing on finding things that make me smile, I changed my perspective on things. For example, it was freezing Friday morning! I am talking -4 Celsius freezing! But instead of complaining about how cold I was going to be I decided to smile about the fact that I am going to be wearing my winter coat for the first time this year! And seeing my breath the first time this year was smile-worthy because I chose to make it smile-worthy.  


I had a great day on Friday. The little things didn't make an enormous difference in my day; I wasn't walking with a bounce and I certainly wasn't whistling (mostly because I don't know how to whistle). But I was walking around with a smile on my face for the majority of the day and I felt happier. 


Here is my list of things that made me smile:

  • The light changed green right as I walked up
  • I could see my breath for the first time this year
  • Being able to wear my wonderful winter coat again
  • Receiving an average mark on a midterm but being so nervous about my mark that the average mark was turned into a wonderful mark
  • Coming home
  • Having 4 cats coming running up to me as I come in the door
  • Getting mail {yes, it was only a bank statement but who doesn't love getting mail!?}
  • Seeing Kirk walk up the drive way with a smile on his face
  • Laughing so hard with my mom over some pictures even though Dad was asleep in bed

As you can see these are just ordinary things that happen in most people's lives, everyday. They certainly happen to me often but this was really the first time I took the time to realize how these things make me smile. And this very simple decision turned my day from ordinary to extraordinarily ordinary. 


Trying this out for one day was a success and now my goal is to go an entire week, making a list of all the little things that make me smile during a day. If a day made a difference in my mood, I think this upcoming week is going to be a great one! 


I created a sheet that I will use to write down anything that makes me smile. 


I would love to hear your own Day of Smiles! Print off the sheet or use your own and write down anything and everything that makes you smile! Let me know how your Day of Smiles went and I hope your day is filled with smiles! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katelyn, this article made me cry.... i miss you so much and i wish i was there smiling with you... i love you and cant wait to come home to see you :)
-Jennifer

Jennie Guenard said...

Just found this! Missed it in my news feed months ago I guess, but I'm glad I came across it, very inspiring words, and I'm glad you can find happiness in everything, because thats what will make your life fantastic :) Miss you!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Of Extraordinarily Ordinary Things. Design by WPThemes Expert
Themes By Buy My Themes And Cheap Conveyancing.